WHAT A BATCH!!
July 27, 2017
Our newest collaboration with Innocente Brewing Company BATCH_06: BERRY BERLINER is finally ready! Brewed with lactobacillus from Escarpment Labs (Guelph, Ontario) and blackberry raspberry purée, this tart low-ABV Berliner Style Weisse is a great option for those hot summer days on the patio!
We will be serving it on its own OR with the option of a Blackberry Syrup on the side (much like how a traditional Berliner Weisse would be served with a shot of Himbeere in Berlin).
- NAME: BATCH_06: BERRY BERLINER
- BREWERY: Beertown XX Innocente Brewery (Waterloo, ON)
- STYLE: Berliner Weisse (brewed with Blackberries & Raspberries)
- ABV & IBU: 3.8% || IBU: 6
WHAT IS A BERLINER WEISSE? WHY IS IT SOMETIMES SERVED WITH SWEET SYRUP ON THE SIDE?
- A Berliner Weisse is a wheat beer made with both traditional warm-fermenting yeasts and lactobacillus culture (which gives it sour and acidic notes slightly little reminiscent of a lambic or gueuze).
- In Berlin, Berliner Weisse’s are almost always served with raspberry (Himbeere) or woodruff (Waldmeister) syrup and are often consumed with the use of a straw. This tradition likely began in response to the Reinheitsgebot (BAVARIAN PURITY LAW ) which prevented any tradition of adding fruit or other additives during the brewing process.
- Berliners got around this by adding syrup at service to reduce the sharpness and acidity of the beer.
- In order to replicate an authentic German experience, we will offer guests the option of adding blackberry syrup to BATCH_06: Berry Berliner!
(Dave Innocente (left) + Jen Tamse (right) sipping on the Berliner Weisse at Innocente Brewery in Waterloo, ON)
Contributors: Jennifer Tamse, Evin lachance